The cut above
CORTE VETUSTO MEZCAL announces the ‘Cut Above Challenge’
Corte Vetusto ‘The Ancient Cut’ is a trio of exceptional, mesquite smoked mezcals from Oaxaca, Mexico. Since launching in 2017 the brand has picked up over 6 top medals and 1 trophy, the recent gold and double gold accolades catapulting it to being the world’s most highly awarded mezcal whilst still being independently owned and run single-handedly by owner, David Shepherd.
Understanding the challenges of adversity, Corte Vetusto is launching the CUT ABOVE CHALLENGE to help, inspire and show solidarity to the UK bar industry at this challenging time. Inspired by the mantra of master mezcalero, Juan Carlos Gonzalez Diaz, of creating a cut of mezcal so divine it invokes the spirit of previous generations aka el Corte Vetusto or Ancient Cut.
THE CUT ABOVE CHALLENGE
- UK bartenders tasked to create a cocktail with any of the 3 Corte Vetusto mezcals
- Drink submissions must include why it’s a cut above (cut above means 'superior to' or 'better than').
- Chosen Corte Vetusto mezcal must be the lead spirit in your drink (100ml minis posted on request for recipe development)
- No limitations on the number or type of ingredients (homemade syrups / shrubs / bitters are welcome). This is your chance to showcase your skills and creativity.
- Entries to be DM’d on Instagram @VetustoMezcal or email firstname.lastname@example.org with full ingredients/method/serving suggestion/Cut Above justification
- 1st prize: £250 and the Corte Vetusto portfolio (3 bottles)
- 2nd prize: £100 and 1 bottle of Corte Vetusto mezcal
- 3rd, 4th and 5th prizes: £50
- Entries will be judged by David Shepherd and Eduardo Gomez, director of Tequila & Mezcal Fest, and Josh Linfitt from Propping Up the Bar (ex-Worship Street Whistling Shop)
- Deadline for entries is Thursday 7th May 2020